Thursday, March 31, 2011

Weekend Munchies

One thing I have liked about Phil and Amy's 90 Day Fitness Challenge is they have given us bite size portions of information along the way. Too much at one time and we may have all stopped in our tracks, but the way they have presented their material and taught us has been helpful and do-able.

Weekends are always difficult for me . . . seems I want to snack on something.  Phil and Amy's book is full of hints so I picked out a few to share and help me over the upcoming weekend. Hope they help you too.
  • Never only eat carbohydrates. For example I (Amy), always try to eat an egg with my cereal. If I ate cereal by itself, I would feel hungry again in about an hour. Adding just a bit of protein keeps my body more satisfied, and I won't feel like eating again until three or four hours later. (Glad to finally realize why cereal never kept me until lunch!)
  •  A great appetizer at an Asian restaurant is edamame, stewed soybeans in a pod. You can even buy them in bulk and make them at home. Just put in the microwave and heat them up, sprinkle on a little low-sodium salt or salt substitute, and enjoy.
  • When making a quick and easy meal in a pan, such as scrambled eggs or seared tuna, use cooking spray. Cooking sprays help you control how much oil you sue and most of them are very low in calories. PAM cooking spray is one of my favorites (Amy). If you have to cook with oil, you can buy a refillable spray bottle and use that to spray your oil.
  • Olive oil is one of the best oils to use for cooking and salads. Buy the ones that say "Virgin" or "Extra Virgin" on the label. These oils are the least processed and are healthier for your heart.
  • Popcorn is a great snack, especially if you're watching a movie. Always make your own plain and unbuttered popcorn. Try the air popped kind, its less expensive and has less calories. One of my (Amy) favorite things to put on popcorn is Crisco Butter Flavor Spray. It takes better than some of the other sprays, and you get all the butter taste without the calories. 
Hope this gives you more ideas as you go down the home stretch . . . I think I will have a movie night this weekend with POPCORN!!!!

No comments: