Monday, February 21, 2011

Beyond the Challenge

Whether I count back to Jan. 8th and say I'm on Day 45 or go by the book and say I'm on Day 33, I realize I'm still only half way through this challenge. Days are turning into weeks and weeks into months and here I am, still on course. There have been a couple of times when I've thought that I'll be glad when this challenge is over. . . but if I'm making a life style change like I said I was going to do, then this is only the beginning. Right?

One thing I'm trying to do is think BEYOND this challenge. No, I'm not thinking about all my favorite foods that I'm going to start eating again on Day 91 (whenever that day is) or thinking about the extra sleep I'll be getting when I won't have to get up and exercise. I'm not about to go there. I can't look at this challenge in that light, I have to think of it as a springboard to my new way of life.

Another thing I'm doing is setting goals BEYOND this challenge. By doing this, I'm setting my sights on something beyond these 90 days so I'll not only continue, but stay motivated. I've heard many of you say that you're planning on running your first 5K. Why not set a goal to run another race after the challenge? I have my sights on a rowing competition in Feb. 2012 . . . this will motivate me to continue eating right and exercising long after the challenge.

As you start another week, take a moment and look beyond this challenge. Set some goals, make a plan, or put a picture in your mind of where you want to be say 6 months or a year from now so you will continue. Remember, this is a journey to better health, not just something we'll do for 90 days and quit.

I'm thinking and setting goals beyond this challenge 
and hope you will too!


image courtesy of photobucket.com

No comments: