Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tiny Trouble Makers

To be so small, they sure do cause a lot of problems. Day after day I have to fight with these little things using all the self-control and discipline I can muster up. There are moments of victory and then moments of defeat. There is never a day off from this battle and if I let my guard down, they will always get out of control.

What am I talking about? Taste buds. Those tiny taste receptor cells that detect taste. Did you know a single taste bud contains 50 - 100 taste cells representing all 5 taste sensations? They detect:

  • sweet
  • salty
  • sour
  • bitter
  • umami (the response to salts like MSG)

If I let them, they will try and rule my life, that along with my sense of smell that leads to the unwanted cravings. When I'm shopping and smell the aroma from Arizona Steak House or Long Horn, my mouth waters. And the movies, I'm wondering if they don't send out the scent of fresh popcorn through the vent system. Once again, my mouth waters. As of right now, fruit and vegetables just don't do that for me. A cup of white mocha coffee, yum . . . water, well, it's just doesn't do it either. My taste buds want more. Like I said it's a constant battle.

I'm not giving up yet. I am trying to stay ahead of them by eating healthy, filling foods so when the delicious aromas drift my way, my taste buds can stand down!

Wow, this 90 Day Fitness Challenge is challenging me in more ways than I ever dreamed. But, I made it one more day. Like I wrote earlier, "One Day At A Time."

image courtesy of photobucket.com

No comments: