Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day Eight - Need vs Want

While making room for all the delicious dishes over the holidays, I tucked my husband's favorite golf thermos away in a special place to make more room on my counter. The problem is, my places are so special I usually can't remember where they are. (I'll have to blog on food to improve memory another day!

Since today is my husband's birthday, I stopped by T. J. Maxx, where I think he bought it, to see if I could find another one. No thermos, however I did see a lot of things I wanted to buy. I walked every aisle checking out all the fun things I would like to have. Things I wanted, but didn't need. This made me think of the grocery store. Yes, that's what happens when you are on a 90 Day Fitness Challenge . . . everything you do makes you think of HEALTH and FITNESS.

What came to mind was all the times I've walked down every aisle of the grocery store checking out all the fun things I'd like to have. Things I wanted, but didn't need.  I left T. J. Maxx empty handed realizing I'd won against the temptation to spend money on items  I didn't need. (Well, I do need to find a thermos for my husband soon!) My exit from the grocery store should be the same. I should only have items I NEED, not things I want. In this case, our wants will hurt us if it's unhealthy food.
image courtesy of photobucket.com

NEED vs WANT. It's a never ending struggle, but one that will become easier the longer we are on our journey towards better health and fitness. Each day we must resist the temptation to eat foods that aren't good for us just because we want them. The best foods are the ones that our bodies need. Remember, we should eat to live NOT live to eat.

2 comments:

Celeste Vaughan said...

We must be on the same brain wave Beth! I have really been trying to curb our every day spending, so every time I think about spending money, I really think hard about whether or not I REALLY need it.

When I am hungry, however, my brain seems to shut down! If my blood sugar gets even a little low, I get shaky and tend to eat whatever I can as fast as I can, and then have buyer's and eater's remorse!

Every time I walk out the door, I take an apple or a clementine with me, or maybe a banana and a handful of pistachios to help me keep those hunger splurges away!

Beth K. Fortune said...

Great idea and reminder Celeste to always take something HEALTHY with you when you leave the house. I need to do the same!

Thanks,
Beth