Friday, January 28, 2011

Day Nine - The 3 G's

This morning in our rowing class, some members began talking about different TV shows that I haven't had time to watch. As I sat there thinking, and rowing, I realized I'll probably not be able to watch some of the shows for awhile due to my busy schedule. Then it hit me . . . to get physically fit, I am going to have to give up some things. Then came the 3 G's:


Goals: At the start of the challenge Amy and Phil talked to us about dreams and goals. They asked us to dust off our dreams, dream again, and set goals. My goals are not only to see a change in the scales - decreasing numbers please - but to get off some medications, walk up the MANY flights of stairs for five days at an upcoming Writer's Conference without doubling over, and to row one MILLION meters this year.


Give Up: I know, I could have gone all day without talking about this. We need to give up some things to reach our goals or they may not be reached. I've already given up sleep in the mornings to exercise, daily sweet tea, sodas, salt, other foods that I would eat (and drink) without ever having a second thought, as well as TV time in the evenings. (These blogs just don't happen.) I'm also giving up close parking places, seconds on my favorite dishes, and my weekly pizza (I think I've already shared that I LOVE pizza!)


Gain: Here's the good part. Don't let the word fool you . . . this is not gaining as in weight-gain, but much more. A better lifestyle, more energy, healthier skin, better digestive systems, better sleep habits, happier dispositions, new activities, new friends wherever you exercise, and a new lease on life!


Think about your 3 G's today - your goals, what you need to give up and most importantly, what you're going to gain. Be encouraged and remember, we are working toward a lifestyle change. As we go into the weekend, keep in mind part of our challenge - to make sure we are eating balanced meals and snacks 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 35% good fats. And don't forget the water . . .drink, drink, and drink some more!


image courtesy of photobucket.com

No comments: