Monday, January 31, 2011

Day Twelve - Eat to Live

It has taken me awhile but I finally got on Phil and Amy's Online Community. Many of you have been on it for weeks and already joined in on the conference calls live, but I guess I am a little behind. I'm so thankful that the conference calls are archived because I can still go back and listen to what I missed. 


Tonight I listened to Phil's conversation with Krystal Gray, Certified Clinical Nutritionist and author of the book "Eat and Be Well."  The information Phil and Krystal shared made me once again see how far off I have been with my eating habits. I have much to learn and will be listening to this conversation more than once as I let it become a new mindset.


Some points that caught my attention:

  • Our bodies need fuel and God gave food to feed our cells.
  • When our cells need nutrients, it triggers our appetites  . . . if we don't give the cells the right kind of healthy foods, they will still need food, therefore our appetites are triggered again not long after we have eaten. That's why we can be hungry, eat a fast food hamburger and not long afterwards we are hungry again. Our cells didn't get the fuel they needed.
  • We need to chew our food 10 to 20 times, each mouthful. While chewing, enzymes began to work and the digestive process starts. If our food isn't digested correctly, our bodies think they aren't getting enough food and may die, so they store up food as fat cells.
  • We shouldn't drink anything 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after we eat. When we drink while eating, we dilute the enzymes that begin the digestive process.This makes a lot of difference in not only the way we will feel, but the way we will digest our food.
  • Our bodies should be a balance - acidic and alkaline. When we eat a lot of sugar, it makes our bodies acidic which in turn makes our bodies think it's dying therefore it takes alkaline from our bones.This causes osteoporosis and joint pain. 
As you can see, there was a wealth of information and so much to think about from this conversation. If you haven't gone online and listened to this conference call, I would encourage you to do so. As we said from the beginning of this challenge, we want to make a lifestyle change. To do this we are going to have to change the way we think, the way we eat, and how we eat. 

Still up for the challenge? I sure am. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm certainly not where I was either.


image courtesy of photobucket.com






1 comment:

Celeste Vaughan said...

Don't feel too bad, I am not on there yet either. I am just facing way too many computer challenges these days! I will make myself figure it out so I can join in listening to the conference calls as well. I also need to get to the meal planner site. Sooo far behind =o/