Friday, March 11, 2011

Dreaming and Dreaming BIG!

Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream. Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream . . . " This song by the Everly Brothers keeps breaking into my thoughts -- not for a love I'm longing for as the Everly Brothers sing about, but for the hopes and dreams I have.

Last night at our weekly meeting with Phil and Amy, Phil talked to us about  "Keys For Success."  Obviously he's already trying to get us to think beyond this challenge and he should -- we only have 4 more weeks left.

Keys For Success:
  • Feed your hopes and dreams - so many times we shut our dreams down
  • Ask, "Will getting to my goal weight and maintaining it benefit me with my health, career, and relationships?
  • Focus on the benefits, not the negative
  • Write down your hopes and dreams
  • Dream Big!
  • Turn dreams into bite size pieces so they won't be so over-whelming
  • Be brutally honest with yourself. What are you going to do to make your hopes and dreams come true?
  • Write down hopes and dreams and put them up where you can see them and read them every day
  • So much of this is mental . . . get help if you need it
  • Find new activities that you love
  • Reach BEYOND yourself
  • Make every day count
  • Tomorrow's a new day. Practice forgiveness (especially for yourself)

When feeding your hopes and dreams, think of positive things. Start thinking about what you can do --  not what you can't do. Also, put things on the calendar and commit yourself. Two weeks ago I definitely put this into practice without realizing it was a key for my success. I committed to rowing a 1/2 marathon and it's tomorrow. If I didn't commit and have this on my calendar, would I be doing it? Probably, but what others things will I do in the future if I sign up, commit, and put it on my calendar?

This week think of your hopes and dreams. Think of things you always wanted to do and make a plan. That's right . . . even if it seems impossible, turn it into a bite size piece . . . break it down . . . do a little first. You will never know if you can do it if you don't try. Just like my 1/2 marathon. I will never know if I can actually do it if I don't try.

Now, go get your sticky notes and start putting your hopes and dreams before you. We didn't sign up for the challenge and do all this work just to see a number on the scales. No, we did this for a life change, so start thinking of ways you want to change your life as you become a "new you!"

photos courtesy of photobucket.com

No comments: