Saturday, March 12, 2011

Healthy Snacking Works

This past week was a turning point for me. Monday I wrote about my cute lunch bag and snacking. I followed through with my all day snacking on healthy foods and lost another 3 lbs. You better believe I'm going to continue carrying my cute lunch bag full of food with me each day. Phil gave some more great information on healthy snacking and I thought I would pass it along.


Fruit snacks:
  • Unsweetened applesauce
  • Dried fruit (Be sure and watch calories and sodium)
  • Frozen fruit (Great to thaw and use in yogurt and oatmeal)
  • Smoothies
  • No sugar added popsicles

Veggies:
  • Keep broccoli, celery, carrots handy
  • You can make dips
  • To make a salad easily, keep spinach and salad fixings handy
  • Edamame (soy beans)
  • Veggie pockets
  • Ants on a log (celery with peanut butter with raisins on top)

Healthy Grains:
  • Breakfast cereal - cheerios, shredded wheat, Kashi go lean
  • Whole wheat pitas, muffins or tortillas. Serve with hummus, bean dip or veggie dip

Other healthy foods:
  • Tricuits with peanut butter, laughing cow cheese, of almond butter
  • Air popped popcorn
  • Rice cakes make from whole grain
  • Baked tortillas chips
  • Granola (watch for sugar content)
  • Low fat dairy snacks
  • Low fat cheese
  • Nuts

Beating the Midnight Munchies:
  • Realize cravings have a root
  • Herbal tea
  • Air popped popcorn
  • Plan for the late night munchies -- protein shake, Greek yogurt with fruit
  • Same some of your calories for late night munchies
  • Develop new habit, munchies are usually a habit
  • Make sure your calories are distributed throughout the day . . . fat, carbs, protein

Yep, have to go buy some more zip lock bags when I go to the store to get my fruit and veggies. For another 3 lb. loss on the scales this upcoming week, I will be happy to pick up some more!!!!

No comments: