Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pushing On Through


Keeping up with an exercise routine when we don’t feel well can be a challenge in itself. There is the sickness like the flu, bronchitis, or stomach virus where all a person wants is the bed when experiencing the flu or bronchitis, and near a bathroom with a stomach virus. While sick, we have to take some time to get better.

Then there are the days when we just don’t feel well while suffering with a cold, allergies, headache, etc.  On these days I try not to stop completely from my exercise routine. I may have to slow down, but again, I try not to stop.

This is when an exercise class is so helpful for me. If I had to work out by myself when not feeling well, it would be easier to just not do it. One day wouldn’t be bad, but it would be easy to skip the next day and the next. When I make a commitment to work out with a class, I’m more inclined to make the class. Also while working out with a class, I am more motivated and am encouraged just by being with others.

Today was one of those days. I seem to be suffering from a cold and allergies and I did have to take yesterday off due to lack of sleep from being up coughing most of the previous night.  However, I knew I couldn’t let another day go by without pushing on through. So, I made myself get out of bed and headed to my indoor rowing class. I may not have had my best work out ever today, but I did exercise.

If you are struggling with the change of the season and the colds and allergies that come along with it, I encourage you to not stop exercising. Just keep on pushing through. You may not have a record work out session but you will feel much better in the long run. And, you won’t have to go through the difficult part of getting started again. Also, sign up for a class for a few weeks, something you would enjoy doing with others. There are many available at the Mauldin Sport Center, the Y as well as Greenville Indoor Rowing. Being with others sure does make exercising easier.

Enjoy this beautiful weekend, whether you feel well or not. I know I am!

images courtesy of photobucket.com

No comments: