Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Reflections

Here it is the middle of March and I'm just now getting a chance to sit down and look through the March edition of my Southern Living magazine. Sometimes I start from the front of the magazine savoring each page as I move through the different sections, but today I started in the middle and made my way towards the end. All Southern Living subscribers know what section is at the end . . . the food section. This month’s feature was on pound cakes. A full color picture of a delicious Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake graced the front cover of the magazine and there were more pound cake photos in the food section. To be exact there were 7 Perfect Pound Cakes, pictures and recipes, over 4 pages for me to drool as I read. Not only pound cake recipes, but page after page of foods and other recipes that would not be considered healthy choices.

As I finished reading the articles describing these mouth-watering dishes I made my way back to the front of the magazine. From there I flipped through the travel section reading of places I would like to visit and things I would like to do. I read the articles in the Health and Beauty section and the one that caught my eye was about 3 ladies whose ages ranged from 33 – 53 who practice and play tennis year around. In the South Carolina People and Places section George Hincapie, Greenville’s star cyclist, shared his top five local bike routes, and then I really settled into one of my favorite sections, the Gardening section, for ideas on landscaping and vegetable gardening.

Before I knew it I was back to the end of the magazine with all the food again. My thought was if I want to have the energy to travel, play a sport like tennis, ride a bike, run or walk on the Swamp Rabbit Trail as George suggested, or spend time gardening I need to use will power and forget about the 7 Perfect Pound Cakes.  I need to stay focused on getting in shape and becoming healthier so I can enjoy the activities that I had read about and others I wanted to try.

I love my Southern Living Magazine but I look at it differently now that I’m getting more active. The food section . . . it will always be read, but I’m getting more interested in the rest of the magazine. Yes, I believe the challenge is changing my life! What about that!

photos courtesy of photobucket.com


No comments: