Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Reflections

This past week was a huge turning point for me even in the midst of a busy schedule. There are two areas I've had to deal with, before and during the challenge, concerning my health -- eating healthier and exercising. In both of these areas I feel as though I'm on my way to making life style changes and am reaching my goals.



  1. Healthy eating - By taking the suggestions given to us from Phil and Amy and eating healthy snacks throughout the day, I managed to lose 3 lbs. this week. That may not seem like a lot to some of you, but being 8 weeks into a new routine of eating and exercising, it seemed I had reached a plateau and couldn't get beyond losing a pound here and a half of pound there. I feel as though I've jump started my weight loss again.
  2. Exercising - I have been very faithful in exercising 5 days a week and it has paid off. Recently I signed up, committed, and then showed up this Saturday to row a 1/2 marathon -- 13.1 miles or 21, 097 meters. I had never rowed that long before but 1 hour and 59 minutes after beginning, I completed the 1/2 marathon with enough energy left to celebrate!

As I reflect back over this past week, I realize that both of these were milestones for me and that I'm learning a lot about myself. I learning that:

  • I can change the way I eat
  • I can plan ahead, even during a very busy week, and prepare food to eat throughout the day
  • I can stay motivated on a 90 Day Fitness Challenge
  • I can learn something new
  • I can push myself physically and reach goals
  • Hard work still pays off
  • I can row for almost 2 hours straight
  • "I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 14:13).
  • And . . . it's NEVER too late to start getting in shape and getting physically fit

I've always heard the quote "You are as young as you feel" . . . well, I'm feeling a lot younger even if the calendar says differently.  Matter of fact, I've actually tricked myself into thinking I can do almost anything. After this week I'm already thinking about new goals to set and my body is actually beginning to shout  "what are we going to do next?" Ah, loving this new lease on life!
Me and "Coach" Lowell Caylor
of Greenville Indoor Rowing



No comments: